Wednesday, September 19, 2012

We are so thankful that the hospital stay of last week is over and done with, and that he was discharged earlier than they initially anticipated--thank God. 

This last week has been extremely challenging for Kevin physically.  As myeloma progresses, it begins to divide and multiply within the plasma cells inside the bones.  The large bones, like the femur and pelvis, begin to experience significant pain since these are bones that produce a lot of marrow.  It seems like every day is a new level of pain or area of pain.  There is local pain, referred pain, pain when he moves, pain when he sits still, pain when he sleeps.  I know that Kev would balk at me typing this, since it invites some pity and this is certainly not what we want you to do--especially since pity isn't going to change a thing.  People have been asking me what specifically we need prayer for and it is this:  mercy from this physical pain.  Please pray.  This is very difficult on Kevin obviously, but it's hard to know what to tell Brianna since there is no longer any kind of front that can shield her from seeing this. 

Kevin is--hands down--the toughest person I know.  He is still going to work every day and doing as much as his body will allow at home and with the girls.  I love him, he is a gladiator-no doubt. 

We are being told that once the chemo starts and the myeloma cells are being removed from his bones, his pain level will improve significantly.  The chemo starts this Friday and it cannot come soon enough.  Although we are dreading chemo and the side effects, we have all of our hope in that it will improve his pain. 

God, why do you allow this suffering?  I do not know.  I don't have any awe inspiring "fix-it" bible verses to write down or to quote.  The distress I feel is as real as anything I have ever experienced.  And yet in the really bad moments--although the pain is still there--I sometimes feel a comfort that I can't explain.  Not always.  Sometimes.  But it always seems like just enough. 

Grace and Peace. 

Kristin

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! We are praying for God's strength, help, comfort, and just the way you need it. I know God cares and steps in just when/how you need it-we have experienced it. I also know cancer is a struggle. Someone gave us the article-Don't Waste Your Cancer-sounds like you guys have already read this. Thanks for trusting Jesus along this difficult journey-it strengthens our faith to watch others walk with Him in difficulty. Our family is praying like crazy-our boys often pray for Uncle Dave's brother-so know we CARE. Hugs to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is not a lazy bone in Kevin's body. That's why this is especially hard for a guy like him to slow down. He doesn't know how. He's a "doer" and needs to keep doing in order to feel like himself. At least we know he won't give up this fight without a battle. Love you, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin, we don't know each other, but I know, I knew, Kevin very well several years ago. He was my closest friend in college. He was a brother to me. I have lost touch with him over the years, but have not stopped thinking about him from time to time. Please let him know that I will be thinking about him as he goes through this, and that I feel as close to him now as I did when we were at GVSU together.

    I will continue to read the blog an follow your updates. Thanks for starting this.


    - Joe Palmer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin is one of the toughest guys I know, a hard worker, and always doing things for others. I admire him and praying daily. I love you Kristin and am here for you. Can't wait to see the girls one of these days and give them hugs:)

    ReplyDelete