Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The time we have been awaiting for almost 2 weeks is finally here.  Kevin began engrafting on Monday.  We know this because his blood counts are beginning to rise again.  At this time, it appears that Kev has not yet started experiencing any Graft versus Host symptoms. This can change at any time and as I mentioned before, some GVHD is good as it means that the graft is prepared to fight against the myeloma.  The symptoms of GVHD that we are watching for are intestinal issues, skin rash, and fever.  Kev continues to drive himself to clinic everyday for blood workups and required infusions.  They monitor him closely and keep a close eye on him (he loves this, let me tell you).   
The plasmacytomas continue to grow and this is very nerve wracking for us.  We spoke with radiation oncology regarding what could be done in this "meantime" period (before and during engraftment) and it was suggested that he undergo more radiation treatment, specifically surface/skin level radiation, for each specific tumor.  The rationalization, of course, is that this cancer is going to move so fast that it will be too much for the donor cells to take on.  We wait with as much patience as we can muster for something good to happen.  We take moments to thank God for keeping us out of the hospital thus far, and for providing for us financially since we are both not working at this time.  Kev is feeling "okay" right now.  His biggest complaints are being isolated, feeling tired, and lingering nausea.  He is so stinking tough, he amazes me every day.  
Please continue to pray for good engraftment and a strong immune response from the donor cells.  We desperately want this to be a successful transplant, and we cling to the hope that we know is ours.  
I would like to share with you a poem that I wrote.  I hope it blesses you in some way, as it did me in writing it.  


I asked God (By Kristin)

I asked God why good people suffer and bad people prosper.
God answered, "Indeed, Kristin, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.  Those who suffer I speak to in their suffering and affliction."   
I asked God why Kevin got sick.  
God answered, "You are my heirs.  You share in my sufferings so that you may also share in my glory.  Your present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed."
I asked God why Kevin hasn't been healed.
God answered, "Trust me with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.  Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."
I asked God how this will end.
God answered, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?"
I asked God when this will end.
He answered, "I offer you all power according to my glorious might so that you might have great endurance and patience.  When anxiety is great within you, let my consolation bring you joy."
I asked God why this continues to persist.
God answered, "Only I know the plans I have for your family.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I asked God, what about our children, why must they suffer this too?
God answered, "I am El Shaddai, God Almighty, more than enough.  No one can snatch them out of my hand."
I asked God if I will ever be happy again.
God answered, "Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have no faith?  I will yet fill your lips with laughter and your mouth with shouts of joy."
I asked God if He was really there.
God answered, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is, who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.  I am with you always, until the very end of the age."


Love, Kristin

Biblical References (in order):  Ecc 7:20, Job 36:15, Rom 8:17-18, Prov 3:5, Rom 5:3, Matt 8:26, Col 1:11, Psa 94:19, Jer 29:11, Gen 17:1, John 10:29, Matt 14:31, Job 8:21, Rev 1:8,Matt 28:20


(Disclaimer:  I am not a biblical scholar.  Some verses I have taken out of context to suit this poem.  I have taken liberties with the verbiage of the scripture in order to suit my writing.)



4 comments:

  1. Your poem is truly beautiful and inspirational, Kristin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the incredible blessing of your sharing of God's words. So helpful. I know many will be encouraged and helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, Thank you for your beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete