Saturday, June 8, 2013

Following our great news this week that Matt VanZanten was a match for Kev's upcoming allogeneic (allo) transplant, we entered into a very challenging time with pain management.  Since these cancer cells are along his spinal cord, they are causing him very bad nerve pain in his back and leg.  We have been in and out of the hospital as a result, working to get a pain regimen that will work until the treatment itself will hopefully solve the problem.  The pain seems to get better every day, so we're on the right track at this point.

Kev began the first of 13 radiation treatments to his brain and spine, and we're hopeful that this will be a very effective treatment against the myeloma.  As his doctor said, "the myeloma has seen chemotherapy lots of times, but it's only seen radiation once-- and it will be blindsided."  They are giving him "boosts" of radiation at spots where they can see further disease involvement, and putting a "block" on where they radiated last October (bones have a certain level of radiation tolerance that cannot be surpassed).  Where chemo cannot go (inside his brain), the radiation can go.  There will inevitably be negative side effects since they're radiating such a large area, so please pray for Kev to be spared here. 

The timing of the allo transplant is still up in the air, since it's the most beneficial to enter into it with the least level of cancer possible.  And since we do not know what his status will be after the radiation and spinal fluid chemo, it's difficult to predict the timing of the transplant.  We do know that we're entering into a level of treatment that has no "best practice."  Different docs do things different ways and the road isn't all charted.  That being said, another option has been placed on the table during the last 24 hours.  Following the radiation and spinal chemo that Kev is doing now, it has been brought up that another auto transplant might be extra insurance (i.e. to get the disease "as gone as it can be") prior to heading into the allo transplant.  Of course, this is very aggressive-- and frankly, a hell of a lot of treatment to undergo in the future.  Each transplant in and of itself is lengthy and involved.............BUT, nevertheless we seek with all of our heart to beat this so if this is what's deemed best, we will do it. 

It's best to acknowledge the elephant in the room; that being the question, "if it doesn't work, is this how we want to spend our time?"  Unfortunately, there is no good answer to this question.  No one can predict the future.  All we can do is gather the information we have now, and move forward with equal parts rationale and faith. 

In the spirit of messy spirituality, I want to share that my prayers have been tainted by grief.  I feel my prayers for Kev's healing being pierced with my lack of belief that God will do it.  So what do I have left, Lord, than to tell you how I feel?  That this is crap.  That this feels like a deliberate and targeted blow to my soul........ 
........But has there ever been a time, Lord, that you have not kept your promises?  Daily, you meet me where I am and uplift me, even when I do not know and cannot ask for what I need.  Whether it's a word from a friend, a chance encounter with someone, or a verse from your Word, you put me back on solid ground and remind me that you love me.  I love the word picture that a pastor recently gave to Kev and I:  We are the children that eagerly sit on the porch and wait for our father to come home.  And He is the father that ALWAYS shows up. 

I am so thankful to all of you who continue to show your steadfast love and support for our family.

Love, Kristin

3 comments:

  1. Kristen, I so live with you and Kevin. I am so sorry he has to go through all this, never mind what this is doing to you. I hope the children are okay and will get their Daddy back home, and whole soon. Your faith is beautiful and get you through it I belief. Know that my prayers are always with you. Your friend Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin,
    My heart and prayers are with you and your family as you navigate every day and every decision. Praying for comfort and peace and that the most difficult moments will be just that...moments. Your faith is an inspiration. Hugs,
    Angie Royce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin and Kristen, This is my second attempt to send you a comment-I had one all done and before I could hit the publish button I hit something and it all disappeared. Im Georgia Brininger and I have Multiple Myeloma and go to as many of the myeloma support group meetings at Gildas Club that I can. Sue and Harold have kept me posted as to how you are doing. I guess I just missed meeting you at your last attendance there and my 1st in awhile. Life gets so busy somethimes. My husband was diagnosed with non hodgkins lympoma in Dec of 2012. Had finished his chemo and raditaion and after last Pet-Ct scan in March was in complete remission. So as we have changed our hats from patient/caregiver, we want both you and Kristen to know our hearts and prayers will be with you as we have taken the chemo ,etc journey and we understand the roller coaster ride you are on. I had an autologus stem cell transplant 3 1/2 yrs ago in Oct. 2009 and was in a very good partial remission and things have been going great until this last year. My "M Spike" protein has been slowly rising and this May at my yearly Transplant Dr's check up it had reached the top value he had told me would mean a 2nd stem cell transplant. So Friday June 14 I will begin a 12 week chemo program to prepare for my 2nd transplant, some time this fall. I may not be able to take the chemo every week if my counts go to low, therefore it could take as long as 24 weeks to complete if I can only tolerate the chemo every other week. Fantastic news that you brother can be your donor cells!
    Kevin you and Kristen and your whole family will be in me and my husband,Franks, thoughts and prayers as you once again prepare for what I call the Stem Cell Journey filled with Murpheys Law of happenings. I'll end with a note that as I was given by a transplant patient as I entered the Karmanos autologus stem cell transplant unit and she was leaving. She had this poster that was given to her by a patient as she entered the unit and wanted to pass it on to me.It said-" You have a right to a Peity Party - there now you have had it- flush your troubles down and count your blessings and move on!" I know its much easier said than done, but I tried to be thankful for the opportunity to have a transplant, etc. that some one else might not have been a candidate to even be given one. Hang in Kevin, God will hold you and your family in the palm of his hand and carry you though the trying times ahead.
    God bless Georgia Brininger

    ReplyDelete