Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kevin is just finishing up his 6th (and hopefully last) round of chemotherapy.  He continues to tolerate the cycles very well, and I often find myself thinking that if the tables were turned and it were me going through treatments, our lives would be much more drastically altered.  I know for a fact that I would not be as strong, and I surely would do a lot more complaining.  He is such a strong guy and we are all so proud of him. 

These next couple of weeks will bring a lot more information into the game plan going forward.  Next week he begins testing to be "re-staged."  When we were diagnosed, he was at Stage 3.  After 6 treatments, he gets a new stage.  Here is where all of you come in:  Please pray pray pray that this cancer has been knocked out almost completely.   In my last update I outlined what his blood levels are showing--all good news.  His protein level, what I call "the cancer level," has gone from a 6.2 to a 1!  Amazing.  But as his doctor said, "the proof is in the pudding."  What is the pudding?  Bone marrow.  We are praying that his bone marrow comes out clean--with an undetectable amount of myeloma cells.  This does happen in a small percentage of cases (you may recall my post about the varying levels of response, "partial", "complete", "stringent complete").  Since the research shows that the level of response is directly related to the length of remission, we are so hopeful for a good response ("stringent complete" being the best). 

HOWEVER, this is just round one of the game.  There are 2 to go--the stem cell transplants.  Many people go into the transplant procedure without a complete response from chemo, and end up there following the transplant.  So all is not lost if he has only partially responded to the chemo, we still have more weapons in our arsenal.  But please pray--going into the transplant with no cancer would double down his chances of a long remission.  There is no such thing as overkill (pardon my drama). 

I will post soon after we find out the results of the re-stage (I promise, Ken :-).  There is also a possibility that, depending on the results, the doctor will recommend 2 more rounds of chemo prior to the transplant, especially since he is tolerating the chemo quite well. 

It is truly amazing that God calls each of us by name, and doesn't count us by numbers.  He calls His children to be His instruments, and for reasons that we may never know, God has called Kev and our family to a plan that He sees as fully good.  He is fully in control and He is fully good.  If He would've first asked my permission for this, I would've said, "God, okay, I trust you but I'm just not ready.  I'm not mature enough in my faith yet.  Let me grow, let me read the bible cover to cover first.  Let me learn how to be a better witness first.  Let me learn first what Jesus would do"  But I am reminded yet again that God uses us just where we are and just how we are.  I wasn't and am still not ready for this.  I can only keep praying that God equips me with the strength to continue to glorify Him and the strength to keep going--whatever His will may be. 

Thank you everyone.  God Bless!

Kristin

4 comments:

  1. May God bless you and your family with the peace and healing that only He can bring. I pray that the Lord surrounds you with His spirit of protection and stregnth. And have faith that we are strongest when we are on our knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kristin you have re-energized me and hopefully the rest of the "warriors". You and Kevin are back at the top of the prayer list and will remain there. It is so easy for those of us that are not directly in the line of fire to forget that you and Kevin face this challenge 24/7. I have a daughter and step-daughter that have and are facing challenges that require faith in God and His healing power. And I can see you and them growing closer to Him every day. Listening and reading what the three of you speak and post assures me that God is working in all of your lives. And it is so fun to see miracles develop! I am just getting to know you two(actually four), but would relish the opportunity to spend a few hours together to get closer. And I expect that that will happen in the not to distant future!
    In closing rest assured that you are, and will continue to be, in our prayers.
    God is good, really good!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. Look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete